ELDERSLIE GOLF CLUB was founded in 1908 and on the 3rd of April 1909 was opened for play.

The course consisted of 15 holes for the Gentlemen Members and a 9 hole course for the ladies.

Membership at that time stood at 275 Gentlemen and 75 ladies and on a wet afternoon on the 28th. of August 1909 Major Alexander McRae our first Captain invited Mr A.A. Speirs of Elderslie to drive the first ball down the first fairway to officially open the course.

Mr. James Barclay of Paisley Golf Club added his congratulations and expressed the hope that the two clubs would enjoy close relations in the future.

Elderslie, Paisley, Fereneze and Cochrane Castle Golf Clubs still to this day play their Annual Friendly Matches.

 

1909

Major Alex McRae

First Captain of Elderslie Golf Club

1960 & 1971

Newton Shield Winners

 

 

1962

Stuart Murray returned to the Elderslie Clubhouse with the Scottish Amateur Trophy after winning the final at Gailes.

Members were delighted to join the celebrations as they fill the Trophy with Whisky.

 

1983

Captain Andy Bolland travelled south to bring back the Lytham Trophy won by Stephen McAllister.

Normally the Trophy stays at Lytham but special permission was given to bring it north for the Elderslie Presentation of Prizes

 

 

1990

Stephen McAllister after winning twice on the European PGA Tour represents Scotland in the Dunhill Cup at St.Andrews with former Open Champion Sandy Lyle and Ryder Cup hero Sam Torrance.

 

INDEX PAGE PROFESSIONAL VISITORS